There were some very good and some not so good inspections in the past few weeks. We posted on Facebook about the temporary closure of PF Chang’s a couple weeks ago. That was one of the worst inspections in this report with 22 violations including 8 high priority and live roaches.
The most notable in West Boca was Hashi Sushi Thai in Shadowood, which had 24 mostly minor violations. Although it’s a big number, there was nothing terrible in the report and they did not even receive a warning. This is not the first bad inspection for Hashi, which did worse last year.
Schwartz’s Deli & Grill on Lyons in Coconut Creek had the worst numbers in this report, with 26 violations including 9 high priority and a stop sale:
- Dishmachine not sanitizing properly. Discontinue use of dishmachine for sanitizing and set up manual sanitization until dishmachine is repaired and sanitizing properly.
- Employee failed to wash hands before changing gloves and/or putting on gloves to work with food. Cook
- Food stored in ice used for drinks. See stop sale. Found in ice machine.
- Live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, or food storage area. Throughout establishment.
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Sour cream 49°F in server station cooler. See stop sale.
- Raw animal foods not properly separated from one another based upon minimum required cooking temperature in reach-in freezer – all products not commercially packaged. Raw meat over mozzarella sticks in Midea unit in cook line. Employee correct **Corrected On-Site**
- Raw animal foods not properly separated from one another based upon minimum required cooking temperature in walk-in freezer – all products not commercially packaged. Open case Raw chicken over French fries.
- Spray bottle with chemical/toxic substance stored near/on/above food preparation surface or food. Degreaser and detergent on top shelf of cleaned food pan.
- Stop Sale issued on potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food due to temperature abuse. Sour cream 49° in server station cooler.
Punjab Indian and Basilic Vietnamese Grill on Federal Highway also had big numbers. Punjab had 24 violations, 6 of them high priority. Basilic had 21 and 6.
Rounding out the 20+ category was New Golden China on Palmetto near Powerline with 20 violations, 2 high priority.
We also like to talk about the good news and there’s a lot of it. Leading off is Stallone’s on Glades just west of Lyons with a perfect inspection. Stallone’s is our second favorite Italian restaurant after Stella’s. Jersey Mike’s Subs on St. Andrews, Monet Cafe on Palmetto, and Vinny’s All Day Cafe at Yamato and Jog both also had perfect inspections.
Near perfect inspections were recorded by Casa L’Italien (Yamato at Lakeridge), Tijuana Flats on Powerline, Lucille’s (Yamato and Jog), and the Southwinds golf course clubhouse.
Other inspections worth mentioning include:
- The new Temper Grille at Clint Moore and 441 had 1 violation in its licensing inspection
- Bolay in Polo Club Shoppes and Moe’s on NW 19th each had 1 violation in their licensing inspections
- TGI Friday’s in Mission Bay had 2 violations, both high priority
- Chen’s Yokohama (Boca Lyons Plaza) and El Balcon de las Americas (Sandalfoot) each had 2 minor violations. Chow Thai in Sandalfoot had 2 violations, 1 high priority.
- Shen’s Peking (Boca Lyons) had 3 violations, 1 high priority. Cannoli Kitchen (Powerline) and Tricky Dicks (Sandalfoot) each had 3 minor violations.
- Brio at Town Center Circle had 4 violations, 3 of them high priority
- First Watch (Mission Bay) and Sybarite Pig (Shadowood) each had 5 minor violations.
- Morton’s Steakhouse (Town Center Circle) had 9 violations, 5 high priority
- Gary Woo Express (Yamato near 441) had 10 violations (1 high priority)
- City Fish Market (Glades near the Turnpike) and China Cafe (Loggers Run) each had 11 violations, 2 high priority.
- Padrino’s (Mission Bay) and Rack’s (Mizner Park) each had 14 violations, 3 high priority
- Puccini’s Pizzeria on Yamato had 15 violations, 4 high priority
Our spreadsheet for this report is below. You can look up any restaurant on the state website.