This is one of the worst inspection reports we’ve done in a while and 6 of the worst 12 are located in Delray Marketplace, including the top 2.
It starts with Japango – 39 violations including 8 marked high priority:
- Dented/rusted cans present. See stop sale. SUN TORI Baby corn, DOLE pineapple , HUNSTY. Bamboo shoots
- Dishmachine chlorine sanitizer not at proper minimum strength. Discontinue use of dishmachine for sanitizing and set up manual sanitization until dishmachine is repaired and sanitizing properly. Chlorine at 0ppm.
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Sushi cooler not maintains 41°F. fish eggs (59-62°F); ; cream cheese (63°-67°°F), cooked asparagus (63°°F), Krab (46°-57°°F ). Moved food to a working reach in cooler to attain 41°F. **Corrective Action Taken**
- Raw animal food stored over cooked food. Raw fish stored over cooked duck in the walk-in freezer.
- Raw animal food stored over ready-to-eat food. Raw chicken stored over ready to eat sauces, and washed vegetables.
- Raw animal foods not properly separated from one another based upon minimum required cooking temperature in reach-in freezer – all products not commercially packaged. Raw chicken stored over raw beef.
- Vacuum breaker missing at hose bibb or on fitting/splitter added to hose bibb.
- Wiping cloth sanitizer solution exceeds the maximum concentration allowed. Sushi chlorine sanitizer bucket at sushi counter at 300ppm.
We ate not that long ago at Japango Delray. I had the sashimi lunch. It was the worst quality sashimi I can remember having in my life. But – classic Boca – you get a lot of it for the money.
The second biggest number in the report goes to the nearby Bella Amici Pizzeria, with 36 violations, 7 high priority.
- Operating with an expired Division of Hotels and Restaurants license. license renewed during inspection. Verified with district office that the license was renewed. **Corrected On-Site**
- Live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, or food storage area. Approximately 5-7 flies in the kitchen.
- Nonfood-grade lubricant in use on a meat slicer.
- Pesticide/insecticide labeled for household use only present in establishment. Observed a can of flying insect under a counter in the dining room. Mgr discarded the can. **Corrected On-Site**
- Raw animal food stored over ready-to-eat food. Raw shelled eggs stored over cooked broccoli and cooked eggplant in MASTERBILT reach in cooler. Raw chicken fingers stored over ready to eat pastry mix in walk in freezer. Raw fish stored over cooked meatballs in walk in freezer. All food were properly stored. Was warned on the last 2 inspections. **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**
- Raw animal foods not properly separated from one another based upon minimum required cooking temperature in reach-in cooler. Raw egg wash stored over raw calamari in reach in cooler by hand wash sink. **Corrected On-Site**
- Spray bottle with unknown chemical/toxic substance stored near/on/above food preparation surface or food. Pink chemical in spray bottle on prep table. Unknown chemical in spray bottle on server prep area. Operator labeled all bottles. **Corrected On-Site**
Other big numbers at Delray Marketplace include:
Cabo Flats (28 violations, 5 high priority)
Apeiro (25, 4)
Shula Burger (24, 7)
Cinebowl & Grille (19, 2)
Stepping away from Delray Marketplace, Way Beyond Bagels on Jog in Delray was temporarily closed by inspectors. You can read the details in our Facebook post.
Also on Jog Road in Delray, Henry’s had 24 violations with 6 high priority and Rotelli’s had 24 violations, 4 high priority.
Rebel House (we were just there!) in East Boca had 19 violations, 4 high priority.
Turning to better news …
We see a perfect licensing inspection (no violations) for “Di Pizza” on 441 in Parkland, just south of the county line and Lox Road. It may be replacing a place that was called Venetian.
TW’s Lounge on the west side of 441 near SW 18th had a perfect routine inspection.
City Boys Pizza on Sandalfoot, just east of 441, had a near perfect inspection with just one minor violation.
Of course you can see all the inspections in our pdf, below: