Five of the “top” seven restaurants in this week’s inspection report are in Deerfield Beach. The worst numbers go to Latinos on Hillsboro, with 29 total violations including 10 high priority:
- 2 Shell egg in use with broken shell in bakery area. Operator discarded at will.
- Bakery employee cracked raw shell eggs and then handled clean equipment without washing hands. After reviewing with employee, employee properly washed hands. **Corrected On-Site**
- Displayed cheese bread not properly protected from contamination on front counter. Employee removed and properly covered. **Corrected On-Site**
- Employee touching ready-to-eat food with their bare hands – food was not being heated as a sole ingredient to 145 degrees F or immediately added to other ingredients to be cooked/heated to the minimum required temperature to allow bare hand contact. Establishment has no approved Alternative Operating Procedure. Observed employee cutting tomatoe for salads.
- Employee with infected burn without two layers of impermeable protection on the wound is handling food, clean equipment or utensils, or unwrapped single-service items. Employee properly covered wound. **Corrected On-Site**
- Evidence of mop/cleaning wastewater dumped onto ground. Observed water dumped on parking lot.
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Observed rice pudding and flan at display reach in cooler with a temperature of 44°-45°F. Manager moved to service counter cooler. **Corrective Action Taken**
- Raw fish stored over cooked ground beef and cooked chicken in double door reach in cooler next to back door. Manager properly separated. **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**
- Reduced oxygen packaged food label lacking use by date. Observed cooked chicken wings with out a date marked. As per operator, chicken wings was cooked yesterday 8.1.17.
- Three live small flying insects in service area. **Repeat Violation**
Hibachi Buffet, also on Hillsboro, had nine high priority violations, with 22 total, and a stop sale on several food items including dented tomato sauce cans and “temperature abuse” on “cooked mussels 45°F, macaroni salad 45°F, carrot salad 46°F, cole slaw 45°F, cooked squid 45°F, and sushi ham rolls 45°-46°F.”
Other Deerfield hits include:
- Fratelli’s Pizza on Hillsboro (24 violations, 3 high priority)
- El Balcon de las Americas on Powerline (19, 5)
- Chick-Fil-A on Hillsboro at Powerline (18, 4)
- Sunset Cuisine on SW 12th (13, 2)
The worst numbers in Boca for this report goes to Madison’s New York Grill, just north of Glades Road and west of Military Trail. The report showed 20 violations with 6 high priority:
- Dishmachine chlorine sanitizer not at proper minimum strength. Discontinue use of dishmachine for sanitizing and set up manual sanitization until dishmachine is repaired and sanitizing properly. 0ppm at bar. Dishmachine was repaired during inspection 50ppm chlorine **Corrected On-Site**
- Employee touching ready-to-eat food with their bare hands – food was not being heated as a sole ingredient to 145 degrees F or immediately added to other ingredients to be cooked/heated to the minimum required temperature to allow bare hand contact. Establishment has no approved Alternative Operating Procedure. Prep cook washed and prepped lettuce without gloves. Reviewed proper procedure with cook she than went to wash her hands and put gloves on. **Corrected On-Site**
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food prepared from/mixed with ingredient(s) at ambient temperature not cooled to 41 degrees Fahrenheit within 4 hours. Beef patties prepared at 9:55 in walk in cooler , 60°F ambient cooling . At 10:45 , 58°F covered. Explained to prep cook patties had to be uncovered for quick cooling. However another employee placed the lid back on. Prep cook placed patties on ice. **Corrective Action Taken**
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food reheated for hot holding not reaching 165°F within 2 hours. Mashed sweet potatoes 61°F after one and a half hour of reheating in steam table with a water temperature of 150°F, water temperature after one hour in steam table went up to 163°F, Chef discarded sweet mashed potatoes, he didn’t want to reheat potatoes on stove.
- Raw steak stored over cooked beef on speed rack in walk in cooler. Prep cook reversed items **Corrected On-Site**
- Vacuum breaker missing at hose bibb or on splitter added to hose bibb at mob sink.
Rancheritos on Federal Highway in East Boca (not the one at Lyons in West Boca) had 22 violations, with 3 high priority.
On the positive side, the Cream frozen yogurt place in Westwinds (between Home Depot and Publix) had a perfect inspection with zero violations. Several parts of the Boca Resort also had perfect inspections (though the main kitchen at the beach club had 14 violations with 2 high priority). Golden Corral on Congress in Delray. That’s remarkable for a buffet restaurant.
Brooklyn Boys Pizza in Shadowood had a near perfect inspection with just one minor violation. Moe’s Southwest Grill just east of Butts also was near perfect.
Jet’s Pizza in Somerset Shoppes (Glades at Lyons) and Einstein Bagel in Shadowood also did well with just two violations each. We’ve been meaning to try The Poke Company on Federal Highway – they had two violations as well.
Other notables in this report include:
- Ramen Lab Eatery just south of Mizner Park (15 violations, 5 high priority)
- Waterstone Bar & Grill on Camino Real (13, 4)
- Casimir Bistro in Royal Palm Place (11, 2)
- Bagelworks on Glades (9, 3)
- Panera on Yamato in East Boca (7, 2)
- Rebel House on Palmetto (7, 2)
- Brooklyn Water Bagel in Delray (6, 4)
- Lime Fresh Mexican in Shadowood (6, 1)
- LuBlu Bakery Cafe in Somerset Shoppes (6, 0)
- Tulip Meditteranean in Westwinds (6, 0)
- Jimmy John’s in Westwinds (5, 0)
- Dominic’s on Glades near the Turnpike (5, 2)
- Panera in Mission Bay (5, 0)
- Jersey Mike’s Subs in Somerset Shoppes (3, 2)
- Trulucks in Mizner Park (3, 1)
Our spreadsheet for this report is below: