As we close out the year, our latest inspection report features Cabo Flats in Delray Marketplace. We had a nice meal there in mid-December. But in late November they had a bad day, shut down by one live roach. They were able to reopen the same day so it wasn’t that bad.
The inspector noted a total of 25 violations including 7 marked high priority.
- Employee handled soiled dishes or utensils and then handled clean dishes or utensils without washing hands….employee changed chemical for Dishmachine then grabbed clean container and engaged food prep without wash hands . Discussed with employee. **Corrected On-Site**
- Food stored in ice used for drinks. …lemon , lime , olive stored in drink ice at bar. Employee discarded ice at time of inspection. **Corrected On-Site**
- Live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, or food storage area….one live fly flying in the kitchen. **Repeat Violation**
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit…..pasta 50°, cooked carrots 50°, mushrooms 50°, corn 49°, red sauce 50°, butter 50° , cut lettuce 50°, cut tomatoes 50° , garlic in butter 50° in flip top reach in cooler across from stove at kitchen being held more than four hours. Salsa 50° in flip top reach in cooler at expo line being held more than four hours . Stop sale issue. Operator discarded food at time of inspection……chicken wings 49°, corn 50° in in bottom shelf in reach in cooler across from fryer at kitchen
- Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found….one live roach top of reach in cooler.
- Stop Sale issued on potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food due to temperature abuse…… Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit…..pasta 50°, cooked carrots 50°, mushrooms 50°, corn 49°, red sauce 50°, butter 50° , cut lettuce 50°, cut tomatoes 50° , garlic in butter 50° in flip top reach in cooler across from stove at kitchen being held more than four hours. Salsa 50° in flip top reach in cooler at expo line being held more than four hours . **Repeat Violation**
- Toxic substance/chemical stored by or with food…windex spray bottle with tortilla at dry storage. Manager moved spray bottle at time of inspection. **Corrected On-Site**
The lower level “basic” violations included this: “Dead roaches on premises….three dead roaches in oven at kitchen.”
On the bright side their follow-up inspection in mid-December was much better, though they still had food temperature issues.
Also in Delray Marketplace, Japango had 11 violations, 2 high priority.
The biggest surprise in the numbers was Addison Reserve Country Club. They had 23 violations including 13 high priority in mid-December.
Roaches shut down another restaurant, El Portal in Deerfield Beach, on December 17th.
The popularly Rise Sushi on SW 18th got popped with 13 violations, 4 high priority, in their new location closer to Powerline.
Shanghai City Chinese off Glades near the Turnpike had 11 violations with 2 high priority. Dominic’s near Home Depot had 10 violations, also 2 high priority.
On the good news side of things, the new Blaze Pizza in Shadowood had a perfect licensing inspection. There was also a perfect licensing inspection for “Kingdom Acai” in the plaza just north of the Sandalfoot Cumberland Farms. That may be replacing the Subway but we’re not sure about that.
Fit Foodz Cafe on Clint Moore was also perfect in a routine inspection. Zingers Deli in Shadowood just missed perfection with one violation. Also near perfect were Maoz Vegetarian in Town Center and New York Grilled Cheese by Mizner Park. Next door to the grilled cheese place, Warren’s favorite sushi place, Sushigo, had just 2 minor violations.
Coming soon to Boca Grove is the “All Meats Brazilian Steak House”, in an odd location on the backside of the building, around the corner from the kosher bagel place. They had a licensing inspection with just one violation. We stopped by there a few weeks ago but they were not ready to open yet.
There’s a new Peruvian place near Outback Steakhouse on SW 18th. It’s called Pukara and they had 3 violations in their licensing inspection.
In Mission Bay, Teriyaki Madness had just one minor violation on a call back. Tijuana Flats and First Watch did well with 2 violations each. Duffy’s did okay with 5 violations. Lime Fresh Mexican across the street in Shadowood had 6 violations, still pretty good.
Along the Clint Moore corridor, Ben’s Deli had 6 violations and Villa Rosano had 5. On the Military Trail side TooJay’s and Offerdahls’ had 3 minor violations each, Chipotle had 4, while Manhattan Joe’s Pizza and Burton’s Grill had 5 each
Along Glades Road, Chipotle at 441 had just one minor violation. Einstein Bagels in Shadowood had 2 minor ones. In Boca Lyons Plaza, Shen’s Peking, Wendy’s and Miller’s Ale House had 3 minor violations each. In Somerset Shoppes Rancheritos and Boca Grill had 4 violations each.
Our full spreadsheet is available in PDF form.