An Italian restaurant in East Boca was closed for a day due to cockroaches. Otherwise the inspections were mostly good. We have 133 inspections in our spreadsheet for this report.
Inspectors took a few weeks off, but they started up again in April.
Matteo’s on Federal Highway in the Boca Grand building was closed temporarily on April 24th after inspectors found both live and dead roaches:
Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. Approximately 10 live roaches in paper bags next to dry storage area not in kitchen, isolated area 1 live roach near walk-in cooler in hallway towards office, not in kitchen Approximately 10 live roaches in box on storage rack in hallway towards office, not in kitchen, isolated area 1 live roach at hand wash sink next to dishwasher in kitchen Employees removing boxes and bags from shelves. Roaches eliminated. Cleaning and sanitizing shelves **Corrective Action Taken**
Dead roaches on premises. 2 dead roaches at back door, not in kitchen 1 dead roach behind can rack in dry storage area, not in kitchen Approximately 10 dead roaches in sterno box on rack with paper bags, not in kitchen 2 dead roaches in utility room not in kitchen Employee removed dead roaches, cleaned and sanitized the areas. **Corrective Action Taken**
Other than that there were no particularly bad reports. Three places came in with 10 or more violations, led by Maya Flavors of India on St. Andrews with 12 violations. The 3 high priority violations were the least disturbing we’ve ever seen.
- Air gap between water supply inlet and flood rim of equipment/sink is less than one inch. Found drain pipe going into floor drain, to correct remove pipe from floor drain and make there is a one inch air gap. From the rim of the drain.
- All potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) foods in reach-in cooler cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Three door cooler on cook line at chicken, lamb, goat (45-47°F – Cold Holding), chef moved items and lowered setting
- Vacuum breaker missing at hose bibb or on fitting/splitter added to hose bibb. Found at mop sink no hose Bibb vacuum breaker, to correct buy a hose Bibb vacuum breaker
Further west, Long Island Bagel near Target in West Boca Square had 10 violations, 2 high priority. IHOP in Mission Bay had 10 violations, 3 high priority including “4 small flying insects in dry storage area. Manager contacted exterminator service.”
The next tier down was better. Boca Grill in Somerset Shoppes (Lyons and Glades) had 8 violations, 2 high priority. The walk-in cooler was about 10 degrees warmer than recommended, and a cleaning spray bottle tested as having zero chlorine.
Sushi Yama off Palmetto near Powerline had 8 violations, 1 high priority.
China Wok in Sandalfoot Square and New Golden China on Palmetto near Powerline each had 7 minor violations.
Jon’s Place on Powerline had 6 violations, 1 high priority.
The rest of the news is even better.
Perfect inspections – Zero Violations – were recorded for BurgerFi in the Boca Pointe plaza, Olive Garden & Burger King near Palmetto and Powerline, and Town Center’s Rex Baron & California Pizza Kitchen.
Several restaurants had only 1 violation.
- BurgerFi on Atlantic in West Delray
- Taco Bell in Sandalfoot Square
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House in Mizner Park
- Tomasso’s on Palmetto Park Road
- Pizza District in the Boca Pointe plaza
- O’Connor’s Pub in Sandalfoot Square (and no arrests in the parking lot)
- Kingdom Acai near the Sandalfoot Cumberland Farms
And more with 2 violations each:
- Chipotle, Gyromania and Sal’s Italian on Palmetto near Powerline
- Steak N Shake on 441 in Coral Springs
- Smokey Bones on 441 in West Boca Square
- Cheesecake Factory near Town Center
- Malbec Grill and Blue Agave Mexican on 441 in Parkland
Our spreadsheet for this week is below.inspections-may-10-2020