State inspectors closed several restaurants in the past few weeks including the main dining room in a prominent country club due to rodent droppings.
Gleneagles Country Club had its main dining room closed by inspectors. They noted 14 total violations, 4 of them marked high priority including:
- Rodent activity present as evidenced by rodent droppings found….approximately over 30 rodent dropping underneath shelves, 7 rodent dropping top on rice lid , 2 rodent droppings in the ice tea box at dry storage room . Dry storage room separated from the kitchen.
- Some kind of food bugs growing in flour, rice at dry storage room . See stop sale. Employee discarded food at time of inspection. **Corrected On-Site**
- Time/temperature control for safety food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit……tuna salad 46°, chicken salad 44°, egg salad 46°, ham 44° in flip top salad reach in cooler …..salmon 49°, grilled onion 50°, sauce , blintzes 50° in tall one door reach in cooler and cheese 53°, blue cheese sauce 50°, cut melon 52° in ice cold well at kitchen. Per chef food being held less than four. Employee moved some food to freezer , are some time marked . **Corrective Action Taken**
A same-day inspection cleared the rodent droppings but still had 13 violations noted.
Whistle Stop on Spanish River Blvd was shut down for two days. Inspectors found dead roaches and a lot of live flying insects. A particularly disturbing finding was:
Stop Sale issued due to food not being in a wholesome, sound condition. 1 dead fly inside 1 bottle Dulce Vida Grapefruit, 1 dead fly inside 1 bottle Dulce Vida Lime. Bottles discarded.
On the second day inspectors still found live flies and kept the place closed.
Also closed by inspectors in East Boca were Flakowitz and Living Green Cafe (both on Federal Highway). Flakowitz was closed for:
Live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, food storage area and/or bar area. 6 live flies over front deli counter where food is served from the case. Approximately 50 live flies on ceiling in dining room over tables. 3 live flies at cookline wall over pass through window
Flakowitz cleared a repeat inspection the same day.
Living Green Cafe failed inspections two days in a row for similar reasons:
Live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, food storage area and/or bar area. Approximately 40 live flies at brooms and dust pan at rear door. Not in kitchen Approximately 10 live flies at mop sink at rear of the store. Not in kitchen Approximately 10 live flies at single service items rack at rear of store landing on single service items. Approximately 10 live flies on unpeeled red onions. Onions peeled and washed. Approximately 10 live flies on glass window next to juicing station in the dining room. Approximately 30 live flies at fruit station on counter for juicing. Some landing on washed fruit. Fruit rewashed 5 live flies landing on juicing equipment. Equipment cleaned and sanitized Approximately 10 live flies on menu board on wall behind cash register
The last closure was a bit of a surprise – Cheesecake Factory at Town Center was closed even though they had only one violation – again with live flying insects:
Live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, food storage area and/or bar area. 4 live flies at prep area shelf over prep counter 7 live flies on ceiling in dish washer room 4 live flies on open box of dried chili peppers 5 live flies on unopened boxes in dry storage room 8 live flies at mop sink walls Approximately 10 live flies on ceiling in hallway with walk in coolers Approximately 10 live flies at stairway from 1st floor prep kitchen to 2nd floor main kitchen 4 live flies on ceiling in hallway with coffee station 5 live flies on wall over electrical panel in hallway with coffee station 1 live fly landing on a plate at cookline 2 live flies on wall over cold station 5 live flies on wall across from cookline leading to server station
They were cleared later the same day.
Other inspections of note were:
- Bagel City South on SW 18th – (11 violations, 2 high priority)
- Trattoria Nonna in the same plaza on SW 18th (7, 2)
- Dunkin Donuts in Loggers’ Run (8, 1)
- J&J Fresh Kitchen on St. Andrews (7, 0)
- La Granja on St. Andrews (6, 4)
- First Watch on St. Andrews (5, 3)
- Villagio in Mizner Park (6, 3)
- Noisette French Cafe on SW 18th (5, 2)
- Rotelli’s in West Boca Square on 441 (4, 4)
- Smokey Bones in the same plaza (4, 3)
- Wendy’s in Loggers’ Run (3, 1)
- Pizza Hut Delivery on St. Andrews (3, 1)
- Pollo Tropical on St. Andrews (3, 2)
- Aloha Poke – 1 on St. Andrews and 1 on Glades near 441 (each had 3 violations, 1 high priority)
- Kapow Noodle Bar in Mizner Park (2, 1)
- McDonald’s in Sandalfoot (2, 1)
- Rancherito’s in Somerset Shoppes (1, 0)
- Olive Garden on Powerline (1, 0)
- Lucky’s Frozen Yogurt on 441 (Perfect inspection)
Our spreadsheet for the week is below:inspections-8-16-20