Odyssey Diner on Jog Road in Delray Beach had the worst numbers for this report with 34 violations including 6 marked high priority and with multiple stop sales.
- Employee touching ready-to-eat food with their bare hands – food was not being heated as a sole ingredient to 145 degrees F or immediately added to other ingredients to be cooked/heated to the minimum required temperature to allow bare hand contact. Establishment has no approved Alternative Operating Procedure….cutting onion for salad with bare hands . Employee discarded food at time of inspection. Discussed with operator. **Corrected On-Site**
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit….butter 55°, cream cheese 58° in two door tall reach in cooler at server station ( other food 43° in same cooler). Operator stated that keep opening door made temperature high . Operator ice down on food at time of inspection. **Corrective Action Taken** **Repeat Violation**
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food held using time as a public health control marked with a time that exceeds the 4-hour limit. See stop sale…..ham, eggs, feta cheese, cut tomatoes, cut lettuce. Operator discarded food at time of inspection. **Corrected On-Site**
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food hot held at less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit or above….sweet potatoes 81° in warmer drawer at servers station being held from yesterday. Stop sale issue. Operator discarded food at time of inspection. **Corrective Action Taken**
- Stop Sale issued due to food not being in a wholesome, sound condition.
- Stop Sale issued on potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food due to temperature abuse….. Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food hot held at less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit or above….sweet potatoes 81° in warmer drawer at servers station being held from yesterday. **Repeat Violation**
But that may not be the worst inspection of the week. Taverna Trela on Linton in Delray had a couple disturbing notes among the 8 high priority violations (23 total):
- Presence of insects, one live worm like insect on handle of rice cooker.
- Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. 4 live roaches under prep table at cook line. 1 live roach on floor under 2 compartment sink next to ice machine. 3 live roaches inside oven next to gyro station. 4 live roaches under gyro station. 3 live roaches under flip top cooler across from fryer. 2 live roaches under dish machine. 2 live roaches on floor under hand wash sink next to fryer. 20+ live roaches in side convection oven at cook line. 2 live roaches in wait area. No doors separating any of the areas.
In West Boca the biggest number was for Lemongrass Hot Pot in the Boca Grove plaza with 21 violations, 3 of them high priority. Other notables with 10 or more violations include the Steak N Shake on 441 in Coral Springs (15 violations, 2 high priority), Positano (13, 2) and Renzo’s Cafe Pizzeria (13, 1) on Federal Highway in East Boca, and Duffy’s on Hillsboro in Coconut Creek (13, 2).
Two places in West Boca scored perfect inspections with zero violations: Jon Smith Subs in Mission Bay and Press Creamery in the Reserve at 441 and Clint Moore.
The McDonald’s in Shadowood, LuBlu in Somerset Shoppes (Lyons and Glades) and Kapow Noodle Bar in Mizner Park all had near perfect inspections with 1 violation each.
Also doing well were Panera in Mission Bay, Jersey Mike’s Subs in Somerset Shoppes, and Lucille’s BBQ in Woodfield with 2 violations.
The Melting Pot on Federal Highway had 3 violations, 2 high priority.
Also worth a mention:
- Renzo’s on Clint Moore (4 violations, 1 high priority)
- Dominic’s on Glades near Boca Rio (4, 0)
- Little Brazil near Dominic’s (7, 3)
- Panera in Boca Center (4, 0)
- Bluefin Express on Yamato (4, 1)
- McDonald’s on Palmetto just west of Powerline (4, 1)
- Sushi Rock in East Boca (5, 1)
- Mississippi Sweets BBQ in East Boca (5, 2)
- Cannoli Kitchen on Powerline (6, 4)
- Villa Rosano in the Reserve (6, 1)
- Kee Grill on Military Trail (6, 0)
- Casa Tequila on Glades near Boca Rio (6, 0)
- Subway next to Casq Tequila (6, 1)
- Bonefish Grill in Boca Grove (6, 0)
- Hashi Sushi Thai in Shadowood (7, 2)
Our full spreadsheet for this report is below:allinsp11-12-2018