Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found…..one live roaches underneath 3 compartment sink and 4 live roaches along wall underneath Dishmachine
Usually when we see something like this, the follow-up inspection is clean but that’s not what happened on November 1st:
Dead roaches on premises…..2 dead roaches in underneath 3 compartment sink. **Warning** Call back: 6 dead roaches underneath Dishmachine, 8 dead roaches underneath 3 compartment sink, 6 dead roaches in cook line .
Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found…..one live roaches underneath 3 compartment sink and 4 live roaches along wall underneath Dishmachine. **Warning** Call back: approximately 10 alive roaches dishwashing area, 6 dead roaches underneath Dishmachine, 8 dead roaches underneath 3 compartment sink, 6 dead roaches in cook line.
Earlier in October they had 15 violations including 3 rated high priority:
Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit……eggplant fry, chicken breast 45°, lasagna , cheese 50° in flip top reach in cooler cross from fryer in kitchen . Food being held less than 4 hours ice down on food. Corrective action taken. **Repeat Violation** **Warning**
Raw animal food stored over cooked food…..raw burger above cooked lasagna and ready to eat cheese in reach in cooler in kitchen. **Corrected On-Site** **Warning**
Raw animal foods not properly separated from one another based upon minimum required cooking temperature in walk-in freezer – all products not commercially packaged. **Corrected On-Site** **Warning**
Saltimbocca Italian Bistro is on Military Trail just south of Atlantic. We’ve never been there and we’re not likely to try it.
Other less than stellar inspections:
- Peppertree Bagel on Sample near 441 in Margate, with 22 total violations. High priority violations involving hand washing and food storage were the most serious.
- Duffy’s Sports Grill on Hillsboro at Lyons, with 19 violations including small flying insects in the kitchen and bar area.
- Rotelli’s in the same plaza with Duffy’s had 15 violations, four high priority, such as hand washing, food temperatures and food storage. A follow-up will be required related to paperwork.
- Lucky Dragon Chinese on 441 north of Hillsboro (near Starbuck’s and BJ’s) had 12 violations with live flying insects and food storage issues.
The Good News
The best of this report goes to Sub Zero Ice Cream in Parkland, with a perfect zero violations. It’s on University Drive and would be a short drive from the end of Palmetto Park if we built that bridge (never gonna happen).
Honorable mentions go to the near-perfect Bluefin Sushi and Hidden Tea Secrets, both in Parkland on Parkside Drive. Each had two minor violations. We’ve been to Bluefin and like it, and we’ve been inside the tea place. It looks nice but we haven’t tried it.
Other inspections worth noting:
- Jersey Mike’s on 441 north of Hillsboro had a good inspection with only 2 violations, though one was high priority related to food storage.
- Bamboo Wok in Coconut Creek (Hillsboro at Lyons, near the Rotelli’s and Duffy’s) did pretty well with 6 violations, all minor. It’s part of the same chain as the one on Glades west of Lyons, which was voted best Chinese west of the Turnpike in our survey.
- Japango in Riverstone Shoppes (441 just south of Lox Road) had 8 violations, but all were minor.
Our spreadsheet for this report is below. The two most recent Saltimbocca inspections were not in the data set, but were on the state website when we were looking into the earlier inspection.