Several local restaurants had 20 or more violations in the last couple weeks, and there’s plenty of good news too. The biggest numbers were from China Wok in Sandalfoot Square, with 27 violations including rodent activity. China Wok also had 27 violations in December 2017. Their high priority violations this time were:
- Cooked/heated potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food not cooled from 135 degrees Fahrenheit to 41 degrees Fahrenheit within six hours. See stop sale. Observed in white Frigidaire reach in cooler near front counter: White Frigidaire reach-in cooler:; sweet and sour chicken approximately 5lbs (52°F – Cooling); bourbon chicken approximately 0.5lbs (51°F – Cooling); General tso chicken approximately 2lbs (52°F – Cooling); egg rolls approximately 5lbs (51-53°F – Cooling). Foods were cooked and began cooling yesterday per operator.Ambient air temperature is 67°F in this cooler.
- Employee began working with food, handling clean equipment or utensils, or touching unwrapped single-service items without first washing hands. Cook began to handle clean pots in cookline after coming from outside and not washing hands.
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food cooked/heated yesterday/on a previous day not cooled from 135 degrees Fahrenheit to 41 degrees Fahrenheit within a total of 6 hours. Food has been cooling overnight. See stop sale. Observed in white Frigidaire reach in cooler near front counter: White Frigidaire reach-in cooler:; sweet and sour chicken approximately 5lbs (52°F – Cooling); bourbon chicken approximately 0.5lbs (51°F – Cooling); General tso chicken approximately 2lbs (52°F – Cooling); egg rolls approximately 5lbs (51-53°F – Cooling). Foods were cooked and began cooling yesterday per operator.Ambient air temperature is 67°F in this cooler.
- Potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) hot held at less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit or above. Observed in steam table: cooked pork wontons (118°F – Hot Holding), operator corrected it by reheated food to above 165°F. When checked later, wontons were at 150°F, Corrected On-Site. **Corrected On-Site**
- Raw animal food stored over ready-to-eat food. Raw pork stored above ready to eat sauces in walk in cooler.
- Raw animal foods not properly separated from one another based upon minimum required cooking temperature in walk-in cooler. Raw chicken stored above raw shrimp in walk in cooler. **Repeat Violation**
- Rodent activity present as evidenced by rodent droppings found. Observed at least 40 dried rodent droppings along wall behind white reach in freezer and dry storage shelf with cans near water heater. Operator instructed to remove droppings and to clean and sanitize area. They began to remove droppings. **Corrective Action Taken** **Admin Complaint**
- Vacuum breaker missing at mop sink faucet or on fitting added to mop sink faucet outside. **Repeat Violation**
The next worst by the numbers was the relatively new Blue Moon Mexican Cafe on SW 18th near Powerline, with 25 violations including 7 high priority. The worst of it was a stop sale on black beans for time/temperature issues.
Two others had 25 violations – La Casa de Peinado (4 high priority) in the plaza on 441 just north of Cumberland Farms, and Lemon Grass Hotpot in the Boca Grove plaza on Powerline (3 high priority.
Also with 20 violations or more were:
- House of Bread & Coffee (Casa do Pao) in the same plaza north of Cumberland Farms
- Tanjore in East Boca’s Royal Palm Place
- Oliv Pit on SW 18th near Outback Steakhouse
- Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza in Boca Grove
- Subway on Glades near the Turnpike
There were a number of perfect inspections including Tijuana Flats in Mission Bay, the Southwinds Golf Course, Vinny’s All Day Cafe at Jog & Yamato, Lucille’s BBQ in Delray Marketplace, and the Wendy’s in Boca Lyons Plaza.
The popular Rise Sushi on SW 18th was near perfect with one minor violation.
Stallone’s did well with 2 minor violations. Chipotle in the Westwinds plaza at Glades and 441 also recorded 2 minor violations. Tulip Mediterranean in the same plaza did well with 3 minor violations. Fit Foodz Cafe on Clint Moore also had 3 violations, as did Bolay in Polo Club Shoppes, Shen’s Peking in Boca Lyons Plaza, and First Watch in Mission Bay.
Other notables in this report include:
- Duffy’s in Mission Bay (4 violations, 1 high priority)
- Manhattan Joe’s Pizza in Polo Club (4, 2)
- Chipotle on Palmetto near Powerline (5, 0)
- Apeiro in Delray Marketplace (5, 0)
- Bamboo Wok on Glades (5, 1)
- Shula Burger in Delray Marketplace (6, 1)
- Pho Boca on Glades (7, 1)
- Boon’s Asian in Boca Greens (7, 2)
- Miller’s Ale House in Boca Lyons Plaza (7, 2)
- Gary Woo Express on Yamato near 441 (8, 1)
- Rocco’s Tacos in Boca Center (8, 1)
- Ben’s Kosher Deli on 441 at Clint Moore (8, 3)
- Lindburgers in Westwinds (9, 3)
- Asia at Powerline and Camino Real (9, 3)
- Padrino’s in Mission Bay (9, 1)
- Boca Grill in Somerset Shoppes (9, 1)
- La Granja on St. Andrews near Town Center (9, 6), and a week later on a complaint (11, 2)
- Brendy’s on SW 18th (12, 1)
- Dunkin Donuts in Loggers’ Run (13, 4)
- Burger King in West Boca Square – the Target plaza (17, 1)
- Juice & Java on St. Andrews (17, 2)
- Trattoria Nonna on SW 18th (18, 5)
- Moon Thai on St. Andrews (18, 2)
- El Balcon de Las Americas on 441 at Sandalfoot (18, 6)
- Pollo Tropical on 441 near Palmetto (19, 2)
Our full spreadsheet for this report is below: